What better after a long day outside and running errands than a crockpot meal. This evening I tried a recipe from one of the first Valentine's Day gifts I gave Charlie, How to Make Love and Dinner at the Same Time. We have liked all the recipes tried to date, and tonight's Sweet and Sour Pork was no different. I tweaked it a little bit. To go with it maybe my new favorite Szechuan Green Beans, since they are so spicy, easy, and light (no frying like most recipes).
I hope you enjoy these on a cold wintery night!
Sweet and Sour Pork
2 lbs of pork, cubed (I did a pork roast)
1 green pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1-2 carrots, chopped
1 20 ounce can of pinapple chunks, in juice
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup apple cidar
1/4 cup orange juice
1-2 tablespoons soy sauce
1-2 tablespoons worcheshire sauce
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Place pork, pepper, onion, and carrot in the crockpot.
- Drain the Pineapple, reserving the chunks for later,
- In a bowl, combine the pineapple juice, brown sugar, cider vinegar, orange juice, soy sauce, and Worcestershire sauce; stir and add to crockpot.
- Cook on LOW for 5-6 hours, or HIGH for 2 1/2-3 hours. (I did high for 2 1/2)
- Mix together cornstarch and water, and stir into crockpot.
- Stir in pineapple chunks, and cook for 20 minutes on HIGH.