- Frozen grapes: My husband went to Arizona State University, and a little trick he did to beat the summer heat was to freeze grapes. When you bite into them it's a little slushie. Yum!
- Cold coups: We love gazpacho and chilled cucumber; recipes to follow later in the week.
- Flavored water: Everyone in my family knows I hate drinking water. To keep hydrated I love throwing some slices of lemon, cucumber, or berries into my water.
- Homemade popsicles and ice cream: I have tested a few from Sweet Cream & Sugar Cones, along with Jenni's, both destined to be regulars in the freezer.
- Ice cubes: My Grandma Peg didn't have air conditioning until we all begged her when she retired. She taught me the trick of spritzing water or putting an ice cube on your inner wrists for at least the illusion of it being cooler for a moment.
- Smoothies and coolers: A new favorite today is the cucumber cooler, thanks to my coworker Megan! Perfect to use the last of my English cucumber today and some of our overgrown mint.
Cucumber Mint Cooler
1/2 a cucumber, peeled, seeded, and cut into pieces
8-10 mint leaves
1 lime, juiced
1/2+ cup of water (I used lemon water)
1/4 cup of honey
A tray of ice cubes
Add all ingredients into a blender and whirl away. Add more water if blending is difficult. Add more honey to taste. Garnish with a slice of cucumber or mint leaf. A simple and healthy summertime drink to sip on the patio or while playing bocce ball.